Sunday 4 March 2012

Doodle Stitching Practice Project

So as I mentioned in my previous post I have been practicing my hand embroidery skills by sewing some of the doodle stitching designs on to a pillow case.

I have managed to use a number of stitches so far, see if you can spot them in the pictures.


  • Running Stitch 
  • Straight Stitch 
  • Cross Stitch
  • Back Stitch 
  • Split Stitch
  • Long and Short Stitch 
I have stitched a space scene and a under the sea scene. I think I am most happy with the little mermaid as I think the use of the split stitch here is really effective.

I found the stars on the space design almost impossible to sew, so they look pretty rubbish. I am going to try and watch some online videos to see how other people sew hand embroidered stars on before I attempt them again.

As you can see I have only covered a small section of the pillow so plenty more space to practice on. I will post again when I have filled some more of the pillow up.




P.S sorry about the quality of the photos they were taken on my phone, hopefully should have the camera back soon.

2 comments:

  1. Oh this is fabulous Becky, that will be a very special pillowcase if you continue and fill it up with little scenes. I have never tried embroidery but that book looks great and what a great idea having the CD to enlarge/change the size. Love the octopus. Great to see what you have been crafting. Hugs Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Becky! I just love how you keep finding new things to try and you just dive right in! And get such great results too!
    Keep it up!
    xoxo Karen

    ReplyDelete