Sunday 25 March 2012

Mosaic

I love how amazing mosaics look and have always wanted to have a go at them so recently decided to buy some supplies of ebay.

I bought a starter set which included all the tools and a range of tiles for about £50. Although this is quite a lot to pay the tools are all top quality and can be used time and time again. It took a little bit of time to get the hang of using the tile cutters and nippers but the great thing about mosaic is you cant really make a mistake just change the design to fit the tiles that you have cut.

I copied a vegetable design out of a book onto a old bit of wood that I found lying around the house. It took me a few weeks to complete the mosaic and today I got to work on applying the grout. This picture shows the mosaic after the first stage of the grouting, I need to leave it for 24hrs before properly scrubbing the grout off.



Overall I am pretty happy with my first attempt although I think perhaps the design is a little bit too complicated for the size of the wood and its a little bit difficult to see the design clearly. Can't wait to get started on my next mosaic I am planning a seaside scene perhaps on a bit of driftwood if I can find some next time I am in Devon.

No comments:

Post a Comment